Member Login

Username

Password

Not yet registered?
Register here

Forgotten Password?

Discussion Forum

Forum - Help and Advice - Looking for grave in Sighthill Cemetery Glasgow of murdered policeman Robert Campbell (died 05 Nov 1863),

Please Login to post new content in the forum.

Author Topic - Looking for grave in Sighthill Cemetery Glasgow of murdered policeman Robert Campbell (died 05 Nov 1863),
Posted By:
tletham
27th Oct 2015 1:04pm GMT

Hi.

Hoping someone might be able to offer some guidance...

My 3x great grandfather Robert Campbell, a police constable in Glasgow, was attacked while on duty on 4th November 1863 in Stockwell Street, and died the following morning at home in College Street.

I have found a newspaper report of the murder in the (Glasgow) Daily Herald of 6th November 1863, and also a report of the funeral in the Caledonian Mercury of 10th November. The funeral event seems to have been quite a spectacle, with horse-drawn carriages and hundreds of mourners and police colleagues processing from College Street all the way to Sighthill Cemetery.  The Mercury stated that: "All along the route - up High Street, Castle Street, &c. - the procession attracted considerable notice".

However, that's where my trail runs cold. I haven't been able to find any indication online that there may be any surviving grave site at Sighthill Cemetery in Glasgow. Is there any centralised record of burials and locations within the cemetery?  Am I likely to make any progress if I visit the cemetery in person?

Best wishes, all.

Tom

FindAGraveInScotland.com is a privately owned website with no affiliation to any Local Councils.